Thursday, May 29, 2008

Raspberry & White Chocolate Opera Cake-Daring Bakers Challenge



I know I am a day late in posting. I've had the images forever but I got so busy these past few days that I didn't have time to post. I liked this challenge because it was different than anything else I have baked. I also really enjoyed thinking of creative ways to make it my own. I know I wanted to create an interesting design for the top layer of chocolate and wanted to include both colors somehow. I assembled the cake upside down. I know that there is a tool called an "Opera frame" where you can assemble an opera cake and allows you to save on the edges since you're using a perfect size frame. You even bake the jaconde using the frame so everything is the perfect size. I didn't have the frame but I just used a rectangular baking tin lined with parchment and poured white chocolate into it, waited till it was a bit set and then used a comb and created these swirly lines. Then I poured some pink white chocolate and let it pass through the gaps. I'm happy with the result, everyone loved the cake so much more than I expected. It's rather too sweet for my taste but I was a winner with friends and family. I didn't want to waste the edges of the cake so I just cut a couple of pieces to photograph.



The Mousse/ganache & buttercream are both flavored with raspberry, I used flavorings used for Gelato (don't ask me how but I had a small sample from a food show I went to. And of course the syrup is vanilla with raspberry essence.
This month's challenge is hosted by : Ivonne and Lisa , Shea & Fran thanks guys it was a fun challenge.



Note: I will be posting the recipe soon but I have no time at the moment...but if you're in a hurry please visit any of the other daring bakers blogs here!

39 comments:

Vera said...

Basma, finally! I've been visiting your blog in anticipation.
What a beautiful creation! The two-tone chocolate glaze is stunning!
Congratulations! You've done it again!

Marianna said...

beautiful! I keep seeing this Opera Cake on so many other blogs hehe. I love the colours and flavours you used on yours!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

basma, it turned out beautiful;!

Mcwhisky said...

The neat layers were impressive! Speaking of the glaze, yours was perfect! Such a pretty Opera Cake of yours!

NKP said...

Beautiful colours, an amazing looking cake!

Sandra Le Petrin said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment on my opera's post. There are so many blogs out there, it's impossible to read and know them all. Now I can add you to my favorites and come again.. i've seen alot of gorgeous recipes on your blog (oh those holey pokey :P ). Your Opera cake is one of them!

Mary said...

I love the super pink color of your cake. And I think the swirly top is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Perfect! Love the two tone glaze and the colors are just refreshing. Well done!

Garrett said...

I love those bright colors! Thank you for sharing how you made that pretty design in the glaze - I was getting ready to beg for it as soon as I saw it.

Rachel said...

Very Very Impressive!!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your cake is really beautiful. Perfect layers and I think the marbled glaze is lovely.

Speedbump Kitchen said...

I love it! The marble is perfect and the colors are so fun!

Samira said...

The design on the top of the cake is genious. I wish you could have taken pictures of how you did that cause it looks so fantastic.
great job on both design and flavor combinations. white chocolate & raspberry sounds delicious.

Shelby said...

Very pretty! I tried to do the peach swirl, but it didn't work out. My glaze was too runny.

Bakerette said...

Thanks for all your kind comments. The main thing about the swirl is that the chocolate glaze needs to be a bit set. You can refrigerate it a bit and then spread it, run the comb through it, then freeze it completely, then add the second shade of color on top of that.

enza said...

this is the second marbel effec I see...I must know how!!!can you give us further explanations?
lovely

BC said...

Gorgeous and subtle.

Honey Pickles said...

Your cake turned out very pretty. I liked your flavor combo. Great Job!

Barbara said...

It's so pretty! Great job!

Heather said...

so beautiful! i love the appearance of the icing on top. it looks so simple and perfect and tasty. yummo!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Nice two toned glaze!

Anonymous said...

Wow so colorful! Very original:-)

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Great pictures! And I love the design on top of your cake.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Lunch Buckets said...

So pretty! I wish I had colored my fillings, the contrast looks so nice.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

The marbled effect on top just makes the cake look so classy. I love the colors as well, almost to pretty to eat. Almost I saied...

Aimée said...

White chocolate and raspberry! A match made in heaven, for sure. My favorite flavor combination from the DB's operas so far.

Anonymous said...

Lovely Opera cake, and the colours combination is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Great job on your cake! Nice layers and I like the striped effect a lot!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the colors of your cake. It is fantastic! You definitely put your own touch on it!

Helene said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You did an amazig job once again. I love the wavy pattern on top, very whimsical.

Bakerette said...

thanks everyone, you are all so sweet! I love you daring bakers!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet, marvelous flavor combo :)

May said...

Great to see another food blogger in Dubai! :-) Loved the flavors you chose, perfect combination! =)

cheers,

May

Lou @ The Higher Nest said...

Oh my...beautiful glaze!

Dolores said...

I love the way you decorated your Opera. Simple, feminine and oh-so-spring. Great job!

Sheltie Girl said...

What a gorgeous Opera Cake. You did a fabulous job.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Treehouse Chef said...

very unique idea with using saffron for this recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.