Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mango & Lemon Chiffon Trifle...



It's starting to get really hot here in Dubai. We're not quite at the highest temperature of the year but we're getting there. My children love their evenings in the park but everyday their cheeks get redder than the day before and the weather is slightly less bearable. We're very fortunate to live in a nice community and are blessed to have a little garden where we can plant flowers and trees and even grow some herbs. M, my husband is obsessed with the garden. It's his little sanctuary and spends so much time watering and tending to it. Now it's so hot that the grass has turned yellow and it's made him sad. It's almost impossible to sit outside in our little gazebo without feeling sticky and uncomfortable. So when a couple of our friends came over during the weekend (for a swim & BBQ) I had to think of the most cooling summery desserts ever. I wasn't in the mood to make something difficult. I really wanted to spend as much time as I could with my family. M only gets one day off a week and it's so precious when we get to spend the whole day together. I was finishing up the lemon chiffon as they arrived, we decided to skip the BBQ as it was too hot to stand outside, so instead they picked up take-away on their way over. After eating, swimming, bathing the kids, it was finally time for some mint tea and a cool dessert. We were sitting in the gazebo and everyone was so hot. In came the trifle, even though it's so simple to make, it is always impressive. The top light lemony layer of chiffon is so light and fluffy and when you dig in all the way you get a taste of the sweet mango with the cake & jello, so delightful...



Mango & Lemon Chiffon Trifle
(makes 6)

1 small (about 200g) plain pound cake (best to use dry cake or store bought).
1 packet Mango Jello (you can use apricot or lemon)
1 Mango peeled & sliced

Lemon Chiffon

2 eggs
2 egg yolks
110 g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tsp gelatine
l tbs lemon juice
60 ml water
180 ml heavy cream

Dice the pound cake into cubes and place in the bottom of 6 dessert bowls, or glasses. Make the jello according to the packet instructions and add 1/2 over the sponge. Refrigerate until set. cover the remaining jello and cool till it's the consistency of an unbeaten egg white.
Pureé most of the mango reserving some slices for decoration. Add the cooled jello to the set jello and top with the mango pureé. Follow with a the lemon chiffon. Decorate with mango slices.

Lemon Chiffon Method:

Beat all of the egg yolks, 1/2 of sugar and lemon rind in an electric mixer until creamy and thick. Dissolve gelatine in hot water and add the lemon juice. Stir until dissolved and add to the egg yolk mixture. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add sugar slowly, dissolving well. Fold into the egg yolk mixture, whip cream until soft peaks form and fold in to the lemon mixture.

6 comments:

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

So refreshing! We just got back from a HOT weekend camping and I need some of this! By the way, I LOVE your new layout!

rhid said...

Thank you for looking at my blog. It's always amazing to know that people actually look at what you have, and great to see the variety of blogs out there. Yours is pretty - I have yet to make a soufle and I love dates so I may have to try your recipe when we next have guests over!

Unknown said...

I have been eating lemon all day long: ice cream, cake, mousse, lemonade...you name it but I am adding this to my list of treats. Mangoes are just right now so I am adding them to the shopping list. I have been planting like crazy lately...and I don't even have a green thumb!!

Bakerette said...

Aran, glad you like it. I think the old layout overpowered the images a little...brown and pink are so not me but i still love to look at them, you know when u love looking at something but wouldn't buy it wear it? I'm a lot more of a taupe or beige kind of person :)

Rhid- I did love your blog alot...

Helen, Mangoes are a very Egyptian fruit, haven't had mangoes like the ones u get in Egypt for a while and I do miss them...watermelons are so in season here too.

mimi said...

i love mangoes, this looks like a yummy trifle! love the colors, they definitely look refreshing!

Marianna said...

This looks delicious, and generally I am really enjoying discovering your previous blog posts. I am a big mango lover too, especially when we get them from Egypt (probably the best IMO).