Saturday, May 24, 2008

Double Choc-Chip Chilli Cookies




I think I would call myself a picky eater, there are things I won't eat...and refuse to even try. My first taste of crab -when I was 10 years old-was forced down my mouth by my much older brother. My first taste of Egyptian stuffed sausage was again forced and me, flailing arms and disgusted faced, soon would relax to find that I actually liked what I refused to try. But I still have my food hang-ups! With desserts however, I have no hang-ups whatsoever! I'm not a big fan of chili in savory dishes but when I saw this recipe in a woman's weekly magazine I was drawn to it. The combination of chocolate and spices or flavors- usually not used in sweets- thrilled me. I was once watching a show about the chocolatier Vosges and wanted to jump into the screen and try out the flavors. The pairing of chocolate & spices is so interesting and definately adds another dimension to sweets. The nice thing about these cookies is that the chilli flavor is very subtle but when you taste it, just kicks you a bit...it's almost like your tongue reacts all over. If you didn't know there were chillis in it, you may not ever guess what it is that gives you that sensation. It's definately a departure from the regular double chocolate chip cookie. Even if you hate spicy food these are worth trying...my husband won't even eat too much pepper in his food but he gobbled half of these up.



recipe:

250g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup (165 g) caster sugar
3/4 cup (165 g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder (I used dutch-processed)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
400 g dark semi-sweet chocolate chopped (or choc. chips)

candied chillies
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
1/ cup (60 ml) water
3 fresh thai chillies chopped finely

Preheat oven to 180℃. Grease baking trays & line with parchment paper.
Make the candied chillies.
Beat butter, extract, sugars and egg in a stand mixer or hand-held mixer till light and fluffy, transfer to large bowl. Stir in sifted flour, cocoa and soda in 2 batches. Stir in chilli & chocolate. Scoop out balls of the mixture using an ice-cream scooper and place 5cm apart on the baking trays. Bake 12 minutes. Cool wire racks.

candied chillies method:
Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over heat until sugar dissolves. Add chilli and boil for 2 mins. Cool, strain and discard syrup.



The cookies are best when they are eaten the same or next day. So you can wrap up the remaining dough in double sheets of parchment and store in the freezer for a rainy day!

14 comments:

Mary said...

I am going to have to find some fresh Thai chiles so I can make these cookies. I've had similar cookies with cayenne pepper powder, but the fresh candied chilis I find very intriguing! And I love Vosges chocolates! They're very pricey, but so unusual.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Great photos! Yes, chocolate and chilis go together like salt and cara,el. They enhance each other. In fact, the first hot chocolate known in history made by Mayans, was a beverage made with chocolate and chilis. Of course, the main ingredients found in that area. I have tried Vosges chocolates before and we used to get them all the time at the hotel where I worked last. great post!

Garrett said...

I've also heard about this - pairing chocolate with chilis. Next time I have a calling for some double chocolate chip cookies, maybe I'll sneak some in, and see what sort of reaction it gets out of everyone.

Marianna said...

I love your cookies! I've been a big fan of chili/chocolate combinations for a while now...seems to have been a trend recently here in France (also coupling up pepper or salt with chocolate for instance). I've personally incorporated chili into chocolate in the past and I really liked the final flavour! Btw what Egyptian sausage are you talking about? What's the name in Arabic?

Bakerette said...

Mary- I also thought about adding cayenne powder to them!
Wow Aran, I never knew this info abut Mayans..no wonder they go well together!
Garrett- hope it's a good reaction!
Marianna, the sausages are called "mombar". Know what I mean?

Mónica Pinto said...

Great combination of flavours. Chocolate and chili is just my thing. Lovely photos.

Unknown said...

I have tried mombar...they are addicting :)
I have gone through so many of that Vosges chocolate ith chilies, I love it! The cookies must be out of this world!
Tartelette.

Anonymous said...

The photos are wonderful! The combination of chocolate and chili is the one I can't resist.

Bakerette said...

Monica, thanks :)

Helen, wow I thought that mombar was such a traditional Egyptian dish and so didn't think anyone would even know their name...and you've tried them?? you never fail to amaze me!!

Vera, thanks...I was so touched that you mentioned my Rice Pudding in your blog...so sweet of you!

Chou said...

Oh yum. This sounds absolutely fabulous. If you're ever in Chicago be certain to visit the Vosges store just to try all the yummy samples.

Aimée said...

I love chocolate and heat! These look like a winner.
Sweet blog, you must be a very busy mama. My second is three months tomorrow!

Hanaâ said...

What a great recipe. I'll have to try that next. I have some Thai chilis in the freezer. I love chocolate and "heat". I've made hot brownies with cayenne pepper, as well as chocolate truffles with cayenne pepper. It's funny to see people's reaction. They put it in their mouth and enjoy the creamy and smooth chocolate. And then after they swallow, you see their eyes pop as they feel the heat. Last week I made brownies with finely chopped jalapeno peppers (they're not as hot as Thai chilis though). A big hit! Thanks again for the idea of adding a kick to cookies.

Jenniffer said...

OMG! This recipe sounds SO delicious! I will make them tomorrow! All of your goodies look so good - taking pictures of food is hard to do, but you have it down to a science! Keep up the good work!

-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

bilocor unicef verb bailout fopkj hamlet ashish minitrack sams proteccion callously
masimundus semikonecolori